EVOKE YOGA, ESTABLISHED IN 2013, IS A BOUTIQUE YOGA STUDIO IN THE HEART OF DOWNTOWN LA. OUR BELIEF IS THAT ANYONE CAN DO YOGA AND GAIN POSITIVE BENEFITS FROM IT. OUR SPACE IS SIMPLE, OUR PLAYLISTS ARE ENERGETIC, AND OUR TEACHERS ARE UPLIFTING AND FRIENDLY. WHETHER YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A RESTORATIVE AND MEDITATIVE EXPERIENCE OR A HIGH INTENSITY YOGA SESSION, WE OFFER CLASSES FOR ALL AGES AND ALL LEVELS. COME VISIT US TODAY AND CHECK OUT OUR REFRESHING, FUN, AND ELECTRIC ATMOSPHERE.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do I need to bring to class?
A yoga mat, water, and a bath size towel (most of our classes are heated). All of these things are available for rent or purchase in our retail area. Please limit personal items, we have cubbie holes for your convenience located right outside the studio.
2. What do I wear to class?
Wear something you like to workout in. We recommend leggings and a tank top or sports bra for ladies and shorts for men. Loose clothing can be uncomfortable but wearing a loose t-shirt is not prohibited. There are no shoes or socks required.
3. I'm new to yoga, what class do I take?
There are many different styles of yoga, which class to take depends on what you’re looking to get out of yoga. Read the class descriptions carefully and give us a call if you have any questions. Even though most of our classes are open level, if you’re brand new to yoga taking a level 1 class is highly recommended. This will help affiliate you with the names of the postures, but just like many things, you learn as you go.
4. What if I'm not flexible?
Flexibility is something yoga gives you; you don’t have to be flexible to start practicing yoga. Sitting in place for long periods of time during the work week, or engaging in constant repetitive motions, causes your muscles to shorten. In these yoga classes, we will cycle through a variety of different motions allowing your muscles to lengthen and stretch.
5. What are the benefits of yoga?
There are countless benefits to yoga including stress reduction, increased blood circulation, flexibility, strength, improved sleep patterns, and relaxation. A regular practice of yoga (at least three times a week) can reduce the symptoms of many chronic diseases (e.g. arthritis, diabetes, and thyroid disorders).
6. There is no parking in downtown. Where do I park?
As it turns out, while we don't have official parking, we do have metered parking spots on all the surrounding streets as well an adjacent flat rate parking lot located on 7th street. The meter spots are free before 8am and after 8pm, and allow you to feed the meter before 8am so you are able to still take a morning class! There are also many paid lots that range from $6-12 around us, including 2 directly across from us near the food hall.
Yoga Classroom Etiquette
- ARRIVE EARLY getting to class about 10 minutes early can help you settle in and align your attitude with the purpose of the class. while you’re waiting you can practice a pose, do a few stretches or just sit or lie quietly, breathe and get centered.
- INJURIES let your teacher know about injuries or conditions that might affect your practice. if you are injured or tired, skip poses you can’t or shouldn't do, or try a modified version.
- PHONES please do not bring pagers or cell phones to class. leave socializing and business outside the studio, so the peace of the practice is not disturbed.
- QUIET please try your best to be quiet. it’s great to share a class with people you know, but it can be distracting to yourself and others to have an extended or loud conversation.
- CLEANLINESS please arrive clean and free of scents that might distract or offend others.
- CAUTION DON’T push it. do what you can without straining or injuring yourself. you’ll go farther faster if you take a loving attitude toward yourself and work from where you are, not from where you think you should be. always honor yourself.
- CLEANUP please be mindful and pick up and neatly put away any props you use.
- PUNCTUALITY please do not enter class late or leave early; it’s disruptive to others. please don’t leave during savasana. We do not allow students into class after 5min past the scheduled start time.